Government of Yukon Socio-Economic Web Portal

Carcross

Image of Carcross

At the northern tip of Bennett Lake, on the old Klondike Gold Rush trail, lies the village of Carcross. It lies 74 km south of Whitehorse on the Klondike Highway and about 110 km north of Skagway, Alaska.

Once a hunting and fishing camp for Inland Tlingit and Tagish people, Carcross became a key stopover and supply centre during the Klondike Gold Rush. The White Pass and Yukon railway, extending from Skagway through Carcross to Whitehorse, was completed in 1900. With the completion of the railway, Carcross became a major transportation centre. The Carcross railway station is designated under the federal Railway Station Protection Act. Although Carcross still provides some highway services for the South Klondike Highway, tourism has taken over as a mainstay of the local economy.

Source: Yukon Community Profiles

More Information

Statistics available for Carcross

Map of Carcross